For the safety of all participants and smooth operations of course closures, runners must start the Half Marathon on time at 7:00am and the 5k at 7:15am. The race features a mass start, and the start line will be open for 5 minutes following the starting horn. Late runners will not be accommodated and may face disqualification or removal from the course.
Date: November 4, 2018
Start Time: 7:00 AM
Start Line: Start Location – Aquatic Park Waterfront
Time Limit: 3 hours. To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, the course time limits will be strictly enforced. Participants must maintain a pace of 14:00 min / per mile to finish the 13.1 miles in under 3 hours. A cut-off location will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by this time will be stopped and shuttled to the finish line area.
What sets the Golden Gate Half apart from other races? The opportunity for runners to experience one of the world’s most illustrious cities.
For longtime locals and first-time visitors alike, this course provides an extraordinary look at San Francisco. The City’s eminent history, cosmopolitan elegance and stunning natural beauty are on full display as Golden Gate Half participants weave their way through 13.1 miles of it.
Mile 0-1.5: Aquatic Park, Fort Mason and the Marina
The Golden Gate Half course commences with a short climb unfolding onto the perimeter of upper Fort Mason. Next, participants steadily descend into the Marina. Its magnificence is evident as runners move past imposing waterfront homes to their left and the Marina Green to their right. Beyond lie the blue waters of the Bay flecked with white boat sails.
Mile 1.5-5.5: Crissy Field and the Presidio
The next three miles of the Golden Gate Half bring participants to scenic Crissy Field. They pass first through its restored tidal marsh, renown for its spectacular bird watching, and then cross into the eponymous field. Just beyond Crissy Field stands the iconic Warming Hut, a local institution since 1909.
The course continues into the Presidio proper with another brief incline, which momentarily obscures the Golden Gate Bridge from clear view. Instead, runners can gaze upon Crissy Field in the forefront and both the Marina and downtown San Francisco in the background. A return descent toward the field finally leads participants on a gradual climb to the Golden Gate Bridge.
Mile 5.5-9: Golden Gate Bridge
As runners complete the first third of the Golden Gate Half, they make their way to the namesake landmark. Traveling north across the Golden Gate Bridge’s eastern walkway, participants can behold the City’s iconic skyline, Treasure Island, Alcatraz, Angel Island, Belvedere Tiburon and the greater East Bay. As they near the northern endpoint of the bridge, they can view Fort Baker and the Marin Headlands before exiting for Vista Point.
Back on land, they run along the periphery of this picturesque outlook that leads into a trail beneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Runners then ascend back to the towering structure and return southward to the City via its western walkway. During this leg of the race, participants can take in the majestic Pacific Ocean bordered by the Marin Headlands, Baker Beach and Lands End.
Mile 9-12: Golden Gate Promenade
After disembarking the bridge for the final time, runners head to the Coastal Trail. This pathway takes them through a progressive descent from Battery East Trail, a part of the Golden Gate Promenade, to Fort Point. Here participants can enjoy a unique underside perspective of the bridge one last time before departing the Presidio via the beachside of Crissy Field into the final stretch of the race.
Mile 12-13.1: Marina to Fort Mason
The last mile of the Golden Gate Half returns runners to where their journey began! They travel a paved trail beside Marina Boulevard and then proceed once more to Marina Green. As they take those last celebratory strides toward the finish line, participants can glimpse for a final time the glorious Golden Gate Bridge, beautiful Marina, notable Pacific Heights and bustling Russian Hill.
Become a VIP: A First-Class Race Experience!
You’re ready to race along one of California’s most epic scenery… … and now you have an opportunity to do it in style! We’re rolling out the red carpet for those who want a little more luxury from their Golden Gate experience. VIP registration is open but available to a limited number of runners – there are only 100 VIP spots available and they’ll go quickly. Our velvet rope VIP experience includes:
– Your Golden Gate Half Marathon entry
– VIP Express Packet Pickup at the Expo – no-wait, dedicated pickup table
– Race Day Packet Pickup if you plan to arrive Sunday morning ready to run
– Personalized VIP Race Bib (when purchased before September 1st)
– Unlimited VIP Lounge access on raceday
– Pre-race Energizing Breakfast Items served in the Lounge
– Private Gear Check with Pick-up at Finish Line inside the VIP Lounge
– Post-race refueling food and drink
– Private VIP restrooms
– Private post-race massage
– A brand new 2018 Finisher Item to add to your collection – delivered with your packet
All this for only $299!
Check out our 2017 Finisher Jacket
The Golden Gate Half is excited to offer a Virtual Run Option for the 2018 event.
Virtual Runners’ Post Race package will include:
– Official Finisher Shirt
– Official Finisher Medal
When you sign up for the Virtual Race option, you will need to complete the virtual 13.1 mile race (Half Marathon) or 3.1 mile race (5K) and submit a proof between October 28 and November 13, 2018.
Race Proof can be:
– Photo proof of your tracking device showing the date and distance
– Link to Garmin, MapMyRun, Nikeplus, RunKeeper, Runtastic or Strava tracking.
ALREADY SIGNED UP BUT CAN’T JOIN US ON NOVEMBER 4, 2018?
We understand that sometimes things might happen and you may no longer be able to attend the event. We’re very excited to offer you a brand new alternative to run your race and get your Official Finisher Shirt AND Medal.
Click here to login to your Active account and select “Purchase additional Merchandise”.
– Virtual Race Upgrade may be purchased until November 13.
– You must be registered as a Runner for the 2018 SoFi Golden Gate Half marathon or 5k course distance in order to purchase the upgrade.
– Virtual runners cannot run the Official Course race.
– Virtual Race Upgrade fees will not be refunded or transferred.
– Proofs of the race must be submitted by November 13 at the latest at: [email protected]
– Proofs of the race must match the registration name. i.e.: If You submit tracking from Garmin, Garmin account must be listed in your name and match the name on the registration record.
– Do not send any data before October 28.
– Your finish time will not be posted on the Results Page.
– Data / Race completed before October 28 will not apply.
– Runners who signed up for the tradition course race may be allowed to switch to the Virtual before November 13. Runners who decide to transfer from the Course race to the virtual race must submit their request by November 13. No transfer to the virtual race will be accepted past this date. There is a $35 transfer fee.
– Bib, Shirts and Medals will be mailed to the address listed on the registration form By November 20.
– We will NOT mail out outside of the United States.
– Virtual Race Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
– Once we receive and accept your virtual entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot submit your proof in time, you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
– Virtual Race registration is required in order to participate in the program.