What are the Race dates for 2019?
The 2019 Surf City Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5K will be held on Sunday, February 3, 2019.
The Cowabunga Challenge will take place on Saturday, February 2, 2019.
How can I volunteer?
We are always looking for volunteers! If you’d like to sign up to be a part of the Crew Team, please email our Volunteer Coordinator here.
What Streets will be closed on race day?
Download our 2018 Road Closures and Detours Guide to help navigate you through race day.
How do I know if I am registered?
You will receive a confirmation email from ACTIVE.com with your registration information and a receipt email from email@example.com.
You can also confirm your registration by logging into your ACTIVE account at MyEvents.ACTIVE.com. Still not sure? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am having trouble getting registered. Can someone help me?
For online registration issues contact the ACTIVE Network’s customer support team at email@example.com or 877-228-4881.
How can I edit my registration?
Log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Edit registration” button to make updates to your registration. The deadline to make edits to your registration is January 31st, 2019.
Can I switch race distances?
Yes, you can always switch race distances if there is still capacity in the event you are looking to switch into. Log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Change category” button to make update to your registration. The deadline to make edits to your registration is January 31st, 2019.
- Switching from a longer distance to a shorter distance:There is no fee to switch to a shorter distance. There are no refunds for the difference in price between the two distances.
- Switching from a shorter distance to a longer distance:You will be prompted to pay the difference in fee from the shorter distance to the current cost of the longer distance.
- Late Category transfers:If you miss the deadline to change race distances, you will be able to make the change at the Expo for an administrative charge of $10 plus any additional price difference for longer distances. You must run the race for which you are registered for or you may be disqualified.
How can I add Race Extras to my registration?
Race Extras can be selected during registration. If you did not purchase at the time of registration, log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Purchase merchandise” button to add Race Extras to your registration.
I can’t make the race. What options do I have?
Entry fees are non-refundable. We appreciate you, as our customer, and understand that sometimes you just can’t make the race. We have created a great policy that offers you several different options, in the event you cannot attend on race day. (You may choose only one of the options below.)
- Defer Your Entry: You may defer your entry to the 2020 event. Deferrals must be processed through your ACTIVE MyEvents account and an administration fee of $25 will be charged. The deferral will expire after the 2020 event and you will not be able to defer your registration again. Deferrals must be processed prior to January 27th, 2019.
- Log into your ACTIVE MyEvents account at https://myevents.active.com/motivsportsus
- Find your 2019 Surf City Marathon and Half Marathon entry (Don’t see your entry? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help claiming your entry.)
- Click “Change event”
- Choose “2020 Surf City Marathon and Half Marathon”
- Select your race distance. Please note that you may only defer your entry to the same category you registered in 2019.
- Answer the 2020 registration questions
- Complete the waiver section and click Continue
- You will be prompted to pay the deferral fee on the Checkout page.
- Enter your billing information and click Complete.
- You’re all set!
- Transfers: You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. However, bib transfers are allowed for an administration charge of $25 and must be processed through your ACTIVE MyEvents account no later than January 31st, 2019. If you transfer your bib, you will receive a refund (minus the $25 administration charge) once the new participant signs up. The new runner will need to pay the full entry fee at the time of the transfer. Log into your ACTIVE.com account and select “Transfer registration” to begin the process.
- Insurance: If you purchased Registration Protector insurance you may file a refund claim with Booking Protect. All insurance claims and refunds go directly through Booking Protect. Submit a refund application: https://bookingprotect.com/refund/
- Virtual Run: If you cannot attend the race in person you may run the half marathon or marathon “virtually” and still receive the same perks. To run virtually you must upgrade your registration to the virtual option for $10. Log into your ACTIVE.com account and select “Purchase merchandise” to select the Virtual Upgrade option.
When and where do I pick up my race number?
All Runners are required to pick up their bib and shirt at our Active LifeStyle expo prior to the race. Please visit the expo page of our website for more details including address, hours etc..
Do you mail bibs?
Unfortunately we are unable to provide a Bib Mail option. We do however, have a Race Day Packet Pick Up option. To add this option after your registration, please follow the steps below:
Can someone else pick up my race packet at the expo?
If you are unable to attend, someone else may pick up for you. They are only allowed to pick up for two other people. Items required:
- Copy of driver’s license or photo ID. Electronic copies (e.g. a picture of the ID on a smartphone are accepted).
- Ensure you’ve signed your online waiver. You had the opportunity to sign your waiver during registration. To check if you’ve signed your waiver, please log into your myevents.active.com account and select Surf City Marathon and Half Marathon. You will see a red “Sign Waivers” bar if you have not yet signed your waivers.
What times do the races start?
Please visit our Event Schedule page to check what time your race starts at.
How early should I get there?
Arrive early. We are anticipating thousands of people on race morning and you do not want to be late. Please plan on arriving an hour prior to the start of your race to allow plenty of time to park, get ready, stretch and make your way to the start line.
Gear check will be available. You will need to bring your own bag and use the tag provided on your bib. Your race number will be your claim tag. DO NOT leave any valuables. We are not responsible for any lost/damaged items in gear storage.
Can I start early/late?
For the safety of all participants, you must start at the official start time. We need to ensure that all course marshals are in position, medical teams are ready and AID stations are fully prepared. If you signed up for the Half Marathon you cannot start with the Full Marathoners. If you are an adaptive athlete, please email us at runsurfcity@motivsports so we can arrange to accommodate you.
Do you have a pace team?
Yes! Please check back for details on our pacer times.
What kind of nutrition will be available on the course?
Our AID stations along the course will have:
• Nuun Electrolyte
• Clif Gel
Nuun Performance combines optimal electrolytes + carbohydrates that helps your body absorb the most water, electrolytes and nutrients during intense workouts over 90 minutes in length.
Please note that each station will offer a different variety of items. Check the course map on the Distance page of our website for more details.
Will there be bathrooms on the course?
Yes. Check the course map on the Distance page of our website for more details.
Are strollers allowed?
Strollers are allowed on the Half Marathon and 5K courses ONLY. For everyone’s safety, we request participants with strollers/joggers place themselves at the rear of the corral. We also encourage the rider to wear a helmet.
Are dogs allowed?
In compliance with NASTF course rules, dogs are neither allowed in the corrals nor on the course. You are welcome to bring your dogs to watch the race.
The Surf City USA® Marathon welcomes and encourages accomplished athletes to participate in this event, as we do athletes of all abilities. We are thrilled when “elite” athletes select this event to compete. In certain circumstances, we are happy to offer a complimentary entry to those particular athletes who demonstrate a special ability and can bring something unique to the event. We do not offer travel reimbursement, appearance fees, or accommodations as incentives for “elite” athletes to participate.
Men — Sub 2:27:00 Marathon / 1:11:00 Half / 15:30 5K
Women – Sub 2:59:00 Marathon / 1:25:00 Half / 18:00 5K
Should you be interested, please submit at least 3 race results from the past 2 years to email@example.com.
Each application will be carefully reviewed and we will be happy to accommodate athletes as long as space remains.
Is there prize money?
$1,000 will be awarded to the first male and first female to break the course record in each the Full, Half, and 5K. To qualify, a participant must be the first to cross the finish line and break the course record. A bonus is available only to the 1st place finisher. Per USATF rules, gun time is used to determine finish time.
You must complete the course within 6 hours. PCH will be reopening to traffic promptly at 1:30 PM.
During the event, our fully trained rapid response medical team will ensure that any medical emergency is taken care of while offering unparalleled customer service.
We employ only licensed, certified and seasoned Emergency Medical Technicians that have access to the most up-to-date, state of the art equipment necessary for the health and welfare of staff members, performers, and spectators.
Learn more about Emergency-1 Response
Do you have expo and course entertainment?
Yes! If you are a performer who would be interested in joining us, please email our team!